One of my assignments here at the Shandong Normal University in the Foreign Language Department is that I have to give a one to two hour lecture on “American Culture” every month. The first one I delivered was on October 14th, and I did an overview of America – including a little on the size and population, natural resources, weather, and natural disasters we’ve experience. The last part was about the people – our racial diversity, the languages we speak, a few demographic charts about the religions of America as well as a little on how we dress, and what we’re like in general. It went pretty well. It’s so much easier to speak on this type of thing when you have a power-point program all prepared, and it’s continually giving you clues as to what you’re supposed to be saying. I can’t believe it. . . I almost enjoyed myself!
Here’s a picture of the students.
My lecture for November 11th is “American Fall and Winter Holidays”. If any of you want to send me pictures of you and your families celebrating Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, I think it would be really fun to put you into my lecture. These pictures would have to be of past Thanksgivings or Christmases – but I’d love to see your current Halloween pictures!
Future American Culture Lectures will be on “American Dating, Courtship and Marriage,” “American Sports”—I’m going to get Dave to help me out A LOT on this one. Oh yes, also, “American Spring and Summer Holidays”, and “Americans Vacationing”.
If you have any other good topics – let me know!



No comments:
Post a Comment