Tuesday, March 22, 2011

RECPIENT OF SERVICE

On Sunday, our RS lesson topic was the importance of service.  I had read through the lesson twice, and I was supposed to lead the class discussion, but for a couple of different reasons, I didn't end up being the teacher of the class.  
On Sundays, we usually hold Sacrament Meeting in our apartment. Then, after the first meeting, we either continue on with the Sunday School lesson (men and women together), or we split up,and the men stay and the women go the apartment down the hall for their Relief Society lesson.  This was the week where we expected to part ways, and the women headed off to the Gold's apartment.  As it turned out though, the door was locked, and the key card wouldn't work.  The hotel maintenance people were called, because we knew that the Golds would eventually need to get back into their place.  And the decision was made to have a joint RS/Priesthood meeting was made, so that we could get on with our meetings.  The men's teacher, Henry Miner was prepared, and so was I.  So the question was, who would teach the lesson.

Over a week ago, maybe ten days ago, I started feeling tired.  I took a nice long walk with Judy Judd, and before the half way point, I started feeling like I wished I was already back at home.  It was a beautiful, sunny day, and we had gone up on Thousand Buddha Mountain.  We enjoyed seeing and smelling some trees and bushes in bloom.  There were lots of grandparents our, taking their grandchildren on walks.  So it was a very pleasant day to be out.  But I was so tired!  Then, for  the next couple of days, I started getting really bad headaches.  Headaches are typical for me, so I didn't think too much of it. . . but I couldn't get it to go away with my usual remedies.  And following the headache days, my nose started running like crazy.  It was like a faucet turned on fast drip, and it wouldn't slow up!  From then on, I got the sore throat, and achy body, and chest congestion, and finally the forceful, non stoppable chest cough, bringing up thick, green mucus.  So I had been sick on Sunday morning, when I was thinking that I'd be teaching Relief Society.
During the week that my health was deteriorating, little by little, the ladies in our branch learned of my declining state of wellness.  Each one of them took great measures to help me feel better, and get well.
My visiting teachers came over on Thursday.  This is Gwen Bardsley.  I don't have a picture of Lynda Olsen who is her partner.
I forgot that they were coming.  They could see that I didn't feel well (I was still in my pajamas at 3:00 PM).  They left chocolate chip cookies with me.  They didn't know that I hadn't eaten anything all day.  The cookies hit the spot!  They tasted so good.  From my apartment, they went down the hall to Linda Gold's place, and told her that I was sick.  
Linda immediately brought over her humidifier, and a big bottle of Vicks Vapor Rub.  There's nothing like Vicks to help you breathe easier.
Somehow the word got out to Luci Jones.  
She called and said that she had some herbs that she knew would boost my immune system.  So even though she had a load of papers to grade, she hopped on the bus and brought me four or five different herbs and supplements that she encouraged me to take.  
Dana Thelin sent some "Wellness" supplements to help in my healing efforts.  Judy Judd offered medications and encouragement as well.  
Everywhere I turned, the ladies of our branch were watching out for me, and I know that I was in their prayers as well.
At church on Sunday I wasn't feeling well yet.  I had improved a little maybe, from the worst of it all, but I still didn't feel very well.  And although I didn't say anything, I really didn't want to lead the discussion for the Relief Society/Priesthood lesson.   Brother Miner graciously offered to teach the lesson and give me a break!  I was so glad!  As it turned out, he had a sore throat, and wasn't feeling that well either.  Thank you, thank you Henry Miner!
After church and our pot luck meal, which I snuck out of before all the visiting had concluded, I went back to our apartment, and got in bed.  I was really cold, and was shivering.  I had a hard time getting warm.  I had a fever, and I was tired!  I got a little sleep, but when I woke up, I was so sick and tired of being sick.  I decided to finally call Dr. Trisha,
and see what she thought I should do.  Within the hour, she came to our place, bringing her stethoscope, and a bunch of medicine.   From that time forward, I started feeling better.  
I have been the grateful recipient of much service this past week.  And I must not forget to mention the wonderful back-rubs and cooking and clean-up that Dave offered in service to me too.  It's especially important to be married to a good man when you're sick.  And I am.

No comments: