Sunday, October 17, 2010

A little about our students

We’re enjoying our classes. My evening class is especially good. They are continuing education students – mostly professionals, or adults that have jobs of one type or another during the day, and they want to improve their English skills, so they’ve signed up and paid to take my class. They make good efforts, and come regularly. My morning class is comprised of MBA students, and they aren’t quite as motivated as the evening class students. They don’t participate as easily, and it’s a little more of a challenge.

Dave has about 250 students total. He teaches six groups of Freshmen or Sophomores, once a week. I have two groups of students. One group I see three times a week, and the other group I see twice a week. So I only have about 45 students in total. All of our students have selected American, or English names to be called by in class. This is only for the ease of the teacher. We can hardly even say most of the Chinese names and we would never be able to remember them. Most of the names are pretty normal, but there are a few that we’ve taken note of. Here are some of the more interesting names: Bruce Lee, Bubbles, Cinderella, Melody Yorkshire, and Tequilla. Some of the students have come to class without an English name. Can you guess what names we’ve assigned to them? You’re right! David, Susan, Andrea, Joe, Jeff, and Julie. There are several with the names of our grandchildren. We have several Graces, and Janes. I have suggested the names William and Rick (Ryck), but no takers yet. No Leahs, Stanleys, Zoes, Taytems or Rylees either.

On Sunday’s after church. . . (We hold our church meetings in our apartment, with the other ten or so members in this town -- all English teachers) . . . .we have a pot-luck meal. This has been a good time to exchange teaching strategies, and tell stories of the experiences we’re having in our classes. As a group, we talked about some of the strange names that some of our students have chosen. One teacher said that she had two students in different classes who chose the name “Lucifer”. She asked the boys if they knew anything about that name, and where it came from. One of the boys said he chose it because it came from the Bible. She said that they had a little class discussion about choosing names and selecting names from people that we would like to emulate.

We’ve shown our students pictures of our family, and we get lots of Ooooohs and Aaaaaahs. I think it’s mostly because of the size of our family – not only our impressive, good looks. The Chinese are limited to the “one child” policy, so they can hardly comprehend one family having three children. Our friends, another BYU teaching couple that live right next door to us have a “yours, mine and ours” family, and they have thirteen kids! I’m sure that REALLY blows their minds!!!

I have gone to Dave’s classes with him a couple of times. I kind of acted as his assistant (the Vanna White of the classroom.) It is so bizarre. . .they clapped when they first saw me. So funny. . . Then at the end of the class, I sided up to Dave, and put my arm around his back-side for a little hug, and they all applauded, and pulled out their cell phones, and started taking pictures! Amazing. . . . we couldn’t quite fathom why they did this. I guess we’re just famous! (?????)

No comments: