Before our float trip on the Kenai River, we took a hike to the Russian River Falls. We decided that this was "The Perfect Hike," and we could judge all future hikes against this one. It was about 2 1/2 miles long (one way) which gave us just the right amount of exercise. There were only about 20 stairs that took us to the trail, and from there, in was more or less level. The scenery was gorgeous! And we saw wild-life too!
Besides the ferns and evergreens we saw mushrooms! So many types. I wish that I knew how to go about identifying them. I think of fairies and wonderland when I think of mushrooms. Here are some pictures of a few of them that we enjoyed seeing.
Besides the ferns and evergreens we saw mushrooms! So many types. I wish that I knew how to go about identifying them. I think of fairies and wonderland when I think of mushrooms. Here are some pictures of a few of them that we enjoyed seeing.
Pretty flowers amongst the mushrooms.
Then, the best part of the hike. . . .THE BEARS!!!!
We came to the end of the trail where we were up high on a viewing platform, looking down onto the river. The falls were on the left, and on the right, way down below us was a mother bear and two adolescent cubs catching salmon. We saw them catch three salmon and take them over to a rocky area so that they could tear it apart and eat it. Then the mother bear caught another fish and up the hill they went -- probably to have dessert in private.
This was a wonderful experience to share with our friends, Bill and Susan.
This was the best hike! It rates a ten. We'll hope to find other 10s -- but frankly, I don't know if we'll be that lucky.
1 comment:
Hi Sue and Dave. I love reading your blog and looking at the beautiful pictures. You certainly haven't slowed down since your KSA days. I do my travelling through you....hmm, where do I want to go next, New England perhaps? Hope you are well and that we can chat soon.
Post a Comment