Monday, September 13, 2010

A few more preparations

This past week has been good. We had the week off, and haven’t started teaching yet. Yesterday I finally got my teaching schedule, and I’m relieved. . . I only have ten hours of class-work a week. Dave has fourteen, and he’s out on the West Campus, which includes a 45 minute bus ride in each direction. So I’ve got it easy. I will teach Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoons from 6:30 to 8:30 PM, and on Tuesday and Friday, I teach from 8:00 to 10:00 AM. Not bad. Once a month I teach an hour long lecture on American Culture as well. I think I can manage it.
     We found a sewing machine here that was left by the former BYU English Teachers. We were told that it didn’t work though. I pulled it out to see what we had. It’s a Singer – real plastic, but not terribly old. . . . well, you never can tell. Anyway, in looking it over, I found that the needle was put in backwards, the tension knob was turned to the tightest possible, and the bobbin case was absolutely filthy. So I cleaned it up and put it back together properly, and it works great! (for a cheap, crummy sewing machine).
Dave is going to use his projector in many of his classes, and since they don’t have projector screens in his classrooms, he got a new white bed-sheet, and cut it the right size. I used the Singer to hem the raw edges.
      I was assigned to bring the vegetable dish for our after-church pot-luck. On Saturday, I bought the broccoli, and cleaned it (here you have to wash it in Clorox water – tap water isn’t good enough). So I had all these stems, and felt like I didn’t want to throw them all away. I recently saw someone who chopped them up, and made them into a cream of broccoli soup. So I decided that that’s what I wanted to do. Problem: no blender. So we went to RT-Mart, and there just happened to be a “how-to” demo on blenders. It’s kind of a combo bullet blender and osterizer. It looked pretty easy, and cost a little less than $30.00 US, so we got it. This is a picture of the cute kid who did the demo. He did it for us without saying a word.

He had us do parts of it so we knew it wasn’t too hard to operate. And we were sold. My cream of broccoli soup turned out pretty good. Man my hair looks ugly!!

No comments: