Friday, February 11, 2011

MORE HONG KONG SITES!!!

This is a busy, crowded, and very colorful city!   We took this picture as we were walking to the Hong Kong Temple.
It's pretty amazing that there's an LDS temple in Hong Kong, China.  Members in China are really blessed to have a temple.  Hong Kong was under British rule at the time the Hong Kong China Temple was dedicated, but sovereignty transferred to China just over a year later on July 1, 1997.  We enjoyed attending a temple session here.
 There are so many sky scrapers in Hong Kong.  It reminded us of the never-ending forest of sky scrapers we saw the first time we flew into Shanghai.
 This picture is taken through the window--hence the glare, but we are continually amused by the foul that is roasted with the heads still on.  I'll share a story about heads that fits in nicely right here.  Shortly before we left Jinan, to come home for our semester break, we ate at a Thai restaurant.  It was very nice and clean, and had a menu with pictures.  We ordered a chicken dish that was chopped in the typical Chinese way.  The whole chicken was cut into six pieces with a cleaver.  Not at the joints leaving bones intact.  Splintered bones were found in each bite.  The ambient lighting was romantically low, and I was proud of the good success I was having with my chop sticks. I picked up a good sized piece of the chicken, and was about to put it to my lips when Dana Thelin, our friend that we were dining with said, "Oh, do you eat the head too?"  I immediately dropped the piece of chicken  that I was about to consume.  In the low light, and without my reading glasses, I didn't realize what piece I had plucked.  She knew that we were an adventurous couple and was impressed that I was brave enough to eat the chicken head.  NO!!!  I'm not that adventurous -- and certainly not that brave.
     We're also interested to know if the tail of the duck is fatty and gelatinous, like the tail of a chicken.  It's sure big! 
     We enjoyed the shopping at the Stanley Market over the mountain from the main, down-town Hong Kong area.  The double-decker bus ride to Stanley, with hairpin turns was very exciting.  The bargaining was fun. 
 This is a beautiful beach that was near the Stanley Market.  We got a bite to eat near this beach before we headed out on another adventure.

No comments: